Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Save Gas!!! Run to Work. (and if you run anything like I do you will actual produce your own, (Gas that is).

Just to catch up on this blog, I came ever so close of keeping my running 100 miles per month average up, but fell just a little short this month. I went into the weekend with a lot of momentum built up from my soon to be weekly ritual of run to work Fridays. I planned a nine mile run on Sunday that would have put me over the century mark for the month, however I pulled the old "outer bands from the hurricane passing by in the middle of the gulf" excuse on Sun. morning. I rationalized to myself that weather would probably get better later in the afternoon when the Russian hit man hurricane, or Gustav as the national hurricane people cleverly and less stereotypically named it, passed. Seriously, have we really ran out of good names for hurricanes? Arthur, Bertha, Cristobal, Dolly, Edouard, Fay, Gustav, Hanna, and Ike? The person doing the hurricane naming is very lazy if you ask me. It looks like they just enter any random nursing home here in Florida and ask for the patient list of people over the age of 90. Looking further down the list I see that a women with a name starting with the letter "N" could not be found at the random nursing home, so a name for most old ladies with grand kids was used instead. Nana!!! Well it's what I call my grandmother and believe me she packs a hurricane size punch. Just ask a server at any given restaurant that my loving Nana has come into contact with over the past few years. Anyhoo, I have seemingly went into a rant. The weather never did get better on Sun., in fact it only got worse as the day went on.

So I did not run on Sun. and I will have to live with the shame of falling short of my goal. What should I do to deal with this missed goal? Should I give up running completely? NO. Should I whimper like a little girl and crawl into bed with a gallon of ice-cream? NO. Should I blame my family, the weather, and the running gods? MAYBE. NO!!! I decided to try to incorporate an additional day of running into my weekly schedule. Besides, my marathon training plan is going to call for more running than the mere 3 times a week that I'm running now. Monday I ran 6 miles, so the additional running plan is under way.

Speaking of marathon plans, over the weekend I figured out when I need to start training for my marathon in Feb. I figured I need about eighteen weeks to train, so my training would start around Oct 13th. Now all I have to do is settle on a training plan. Any suggestions? Peace Out!!!

No comments: