Friday, September 19, 2008

Half Marathon Flashback #2

Scene: Sarasota Florida

Good old Sarasota home sweet home, what better place to attempt to run my second half marathon. The start of this race is literally a stones throw from my house. After my bloody nipple first half at Disney I vowed to learn from all my rookie mistakes. Let's see how that worked for me.

The first thing I learned from my first experience is that actually training would probably be a good idea. At this point I was still the size of an infant elephant and eating like a full grown one. I don't remember thinking that my weight was an issue though. I figured if I could just run now every so often that would be enough training. Secondly, I needed some music to listen to for inspiration during my runs. That's what I saw a majority of the runners at Disney doing, so it must be the way to go. So I purchased some tunes for my runs and was ready to hit the road.
The last thing I noticed about most of the other runners in my first half was their attire. Most had on shirts designed for running made of materials that wicken the sweat away from their body thus keeping the friction to a minimum. This seemed like a better idea than the nipple grater cotton shirt that I wore during my first half.

In my mind these were the three elements that were keeping me from running greatness. Unfortunately my mind was writing checks that my fatally obese body was not able to cash. Come to find out I still have a lot of learning to do as far as running goes. Weeks before the half I did manage to run a few times. No where near the amount I should have, but better than I did my first go around for Disney. About a week before the half I came down with a cold and was unable to run at all. Once again my mind told my body, "Don't worry fat ass. Just show up on race day and run slow and steady the race atmosphere itself will get you to the finish line".

Race morning I was feeling cured from my recent cold and seemed ready for what lied ahead of me. Just being around the other runners at 5:30 in the morning had my adrenaline pumping. My body was starting to think that maybe my mind was right. Just like the first race I started to get caught up in the pre-race hype and believe I would be the first almost three hundred pound man to win a half marathon. My mind quickly reminded my body of its bloody nips and the two weeks of limping around after the Disney half. Today we take nice and easy. The goal for this half was to finish and improve on the 3 hour 15 minute of torture that was the WDW half marathon. Sarasota's half was definitely different than Disney's. First of all there were 17,000 runners at WDW and only 2,700 in Sarasota. The temperature was also much better in Sarasota on race day. It was in the mid 60's, Disney was in the mid 70's on race day. I think I like the feel of the smaller crowd in Sarasota. It was easier not to get caught up in the pre-race hype, and there would be less people to have to swerve around at the beginning of the race. Not that at my 13 minute/mile pace that I was going to be passing very many people.

The first miles of the race I was able to stick to my slow and steady plan. I had my inspirational tunes playing and was enjoying my race. In fact, the only time I remember some fighting between mind and body was when an older lady zoomed by me walking faster than my pace. My body not happy with this obvious steroid enhanced old lady passing by wanted to pick up the pace. Thankfully my mind remained in control and we continued at our turtles pace. At mile 9 I started to notice a slight soreness in my right calve. I remained calm and figured that it was nothing, besides I only had another 4 miles to go to crush my first half time. Up to this point I had kept moving at my slow speed without stopping once. This was the farthest I have ever went without stopping. Usually when training I would only run a mile at a time and walk in between. I reached mile ten and knew that the pain in my right calve, that was now also in my left calve, was not going to stop and I was not going to be able to run any longer. My time at mile ten was 2 hours 10 minutes, exactly the slow pace I was trying to keep. I started to walk the final 3.1 miles and honestly, it was more of a hobble. I thought I would never get to the finish, it seemed that every mile took hours to walk as I watched dozens of people pass me. I finally made to the finish area and attempted to fake a run for the finish. I saw that my time was actually 1 minute slower than it was at WDW. I remember feeling that maybe that this is the best I can run and I'm just not cut out to be a long distance runner. I tried to find my family for about a half an hour, but like my first half there was not to be a Bennett family cheering section for me. I guess they were probably too embarrassed to be associated with such a poor excuse of a runner. Hell, I don't blame them that's the feeling I came away with from my second half attempt. At least my nipples were spared this time, thanks to tape and the right clothing. Once again it took about two weeks before I could walk normally again. I promised myself that I would never run again. Or, at least until my stupid doctor scares me straight by telling me I'm fatally obese later in the year.
Peace Out!!!

No comments: