Monday, August 11, 2008

Long Run--- Means Weekend Fun!!!

Sunday I went for my long run for the week. Is Sunday the first day of this week or the last day of the past week? Oh well I am either early or late and being the creature of habit (read: superstitious with a slight case of OCD) that I am Sunday will remain the day for the majority of my long runs. Anyway, I managed to run 12 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace and I threw in an additional 1 mile cool down walk over the lovely John Ringling Bridge, or whatever it's being called this week. Not bad numbers if I do say so myself especially taking into consideration the heat, or is it the humidity? It really doesn't matter I blame both those bitches for the steady declining of my pace. I do feel if there was a way to carry more liquid on my long runs at a 10 minute/mile pace I could run a lot further than the 13 to 16 miles I'm doing now. I carry 22 ounces of water, 22 ounces of Gatorade, 3 GU packets, and a cell phone with me on my long runs. All these accessories add up to 5pounds of additional weight. This along with the 20 pounds of weight that I still need to lose and you can see my predicament. Once the beverages run out, usually around 13 to 16 miles this tall glass of water is finished running for the day.

A few comments to a few people I encountered during my run this weekend. I know none of these people will probably ever read this blog and that in itself is a reason to comment about you. Like you "Lady in your early twenties" running towards the top of the bridge. That wasn't a speeding bullet passing you near the top. It was me BEE OCH!!! I read a lot of running blogs and a lot of them are female runners who brag about passing male runners. The term they all seem to use for this rare occasion is "Chicked". Well young lady on the bridge considered yourself "Chunked". That's a new term I'm going to use for practically anything I pass along my run. That includes you "Old lady still running with cassette player". I "Chunked" you twice on Sunday. Oh I know your going use the whole I had to adjust my 10 pound radio and the whole old age thing. I don't want to hear it lady you were "Chunked", and you don't look a day over 99.

Finally, I love dogs so I can't blame you little Spud Mackenzie dog. I do blame your non-leash owning human counterpart. Next time if I come across you during the last quarter mile of my 12 mile run and Spuds chases after me for said quarter mile Spud's will more than likely be looking for a new owner. Peace Out!!!

No comments: