Thursday, August 7, 2008

Daily routine of a "Hot" runner

Come one come all on a regularly scheduled run with me here in the Hell Heat known as Sarasota. That's what the "Hot" in the title of this blog is meant to describe. By no means is it a reflection of the hotness of my physical appearance. In fact, besides the heat my lack of sexiness is the reason I choose to run so early in the morning. Any who, here is a step by step description of one of my daily runs for your enjoyment.

Step 1- Wake up at 4:00 AM and head directly to the bathroom area for some reading and to lighten the load if you will. After business time I slip on a pair of running shorts grab shoes, socks, and my garmin watch. I then step outside and turn on my watch and put on socks and shoes usually in that order. I then stretch for a few minutes strap on the watch and am good to go. Note: I have yet to run one step and I am already starting to sweat.

Step 2- Actual run. I always have a good idea of the mileage I want to cover depending on the day of the week, however since my watch keeps track of my distance and pace I am free to let my feet lead the way. This is great for me because I become board easily and this way every run can be a new adventure. On this particular morning my feet decided to take me for a 7.5 mile loop around the Sarasota/Bradenton "International" Airport.

Mile 1- Leave house and pass campus police station and head over raised cross walk over Hwy. 41 used by new college students. I pass the students dorms luckily (for them) they seem to all be asleep. This will spare them the expense of therapy sessions that they would have needed after seeing me running shirtless.

Mile 2&3- Exit campus and head down University Pkwy towards Old US 41. At this point of the run I've decided that somebody should throw in a street light or two along this section of roadway. Holy Shit it's dark!!! The only form of lighting on this stretch of road was the one street signal which happen to be in the middle of mile 2 and 3. Note to self: purchase running light if this is going to become a regular running route.

Mile 3&4- This stretch is down Old US 41 towards Tallevast Rd. I really have a good pace going for me at this point 8:30/mile. There are no sidewalks on this stretch of the run, but there is a bike lane. It also has the most traffic this time of morning for some reason. Note to Mr. Get Ur Dunn pickemuptruck man: there is at least three lanes for you to choose from besides the two feet of bike lane, but that's okay I don't mind diving in the grass to give you ample room to get by.

Mile 5&6- Tallevast Rd. and back down US 41 towards raised cross walk. I am starting to slow down due to a stitch in my side, lack of hydration, and my shorts and socks being totally soaked.

Mile 7&7.5- On top of cross walk and back to house. As soon as I get to the top of the cross walk I am blocked by the University maintenance man in his golf cart. He seems to be enjoying his cigarette and zig zagging back in forth so I can't pass him. I have no choice but to stop running and decide to use the last .25 miles as a cool down. When I arrive home I immediately peel off my shorts and socks and attempt to stop sweating. I usually stop sweating somewhere about 8:00 P.M. Here is how the miles paced out. Peace Out.

Mile1: 9:24
Mile2: 8:58
Mile3: 8:45
Mile4: 8:55
Mile5: 9:31
Mile6: 9:49
Mile7: 10:48
Mile 7.5:10:45

7.5Miles 9:32 Avg pace 1276 cal burned

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Thank you for taking us through this vicarious running experience. I wish to report that I am in REM state cozy in the bed while you are out beating the streets. Yawn.

Christa said...

4 am to run is insanity! The 8 miles part just adds to it... We are 10.8 miles from you. Maybe on one of your Sunday runs Alisa can meet you over here. We will have the garden hose ready for you!