Friday, March 13, 2009

Hey Brother Can You Spare A Nickel, Or Is It A Dime???

Due to the recent economy woes I have decide to keep track of the money I pick up while on my training runs. I only wish I would have started picking up abandoned coins when I first started running. Of course, when I first started running it took all the energy I had just to keep going. I doubt that I would have been able to exert any energy to bend over and tie my shoes, let alone pick up coinage. When I finally became fit enough to accomplish this feat admittedly I became too vane to slow down for such a thing. You see, that would slow down my training and even worst effect my overall pace per mile. Seriously, how am I going to become an elite runner if I slow down every time I come along a penny on my path? What an egotistical Dick I have become!!!

Well, no longer my friends. I now will stop for loose change that appears along my routes. I no longer will worry about my ever precious pace. I think Benjamin Franklin, or maybe it was Donald Trump that said it best, "A penny earned is a penny that someone had to bend over and pick up off the ground". Unfortunately, a lot of my training runs happen early mornings which makes it hard to find lost money. But, I will continue to look. I started tracking the loose change last Saturday during my long run, and as you can see I'm already up to a mind boggling 2 cents. Just to let you know during that run I passed a dime. I did try to turn around and find the dime, but was unsuccessful. Unfortunate, I know!!! That would have made my weekend run 6 times more successful. Maybe this weekend I'll hit the mother load. Peace Out!!!

Tuesday: 6.05 miles

Thursday: 5 miles

1 comment:

Alisa said...

It's spelled "too vane", but that's OK.. I know English isn't your first language! Tee hee... are you still "warning up?"

Hey, every penny, nickel and dime counts these days. I love finding money on the ground... it always makes my day!