Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What I know??? About my first Marathon!!!

Things I know about my rapidly approaching first marathon. It will take place in 5 weeks in Sarasota, Fl. on Feb. 15 at 6:00 A.M. to be exact. This is the 4th annual running of the marathon and it happens to be President's Day weekend. The official name of the marathon is the ABC 7 Sarasota Grouper Marathon. The marathon is one of the many that are Boston Qualifier's. So, if I happen to run the marathon in 3 hours and 15 minutes, I will automatically be qualified for Boston. I am 100% sure this will not happen.

The start of the marathon is on Bayshore Road in front of the entrance to the Ringling Museum. "And No Old People!!!", although it's confusing to you the actual entrance to the museum is just a little more north than you think it should be. Don't even get me started on the agony of trying to explain to "blue hairs" where to park for the museum. Anywho, from my house to the starting line is a 1/4 of a mile. Unless a few hundred people get sick or forget to show up, I will more than likely not win the marathon. But, I will tell you this, I doubt there are many people running the marathon that are more familiar with the course.

You see of the 1218 miles I ran last year, I would say at least 75% of those were run on parts of the actual marathon course. That's over 900 miles, or 35 marathons that I have ran during my training runs. Since the marathon is an out and back type run I am especially familiar with the few beginning and ending miles of the course. I literally could run the first 4 miles with my eyes closed. For example, I know that after the gun goes off at 6:00 A.M. that about 200 feet into the run to watch your footing, because Bayshore Road is very uneven at this point and stays that way until the first turn onto North Shore. I know that it's very dark at 6:00 A.M. running down these streets and there is really not enough room for 3 thousand hyped up runners. I know right before mile two, before Jungle Gardens, that there is an elevation change that is pretty noticeable and that in another half a mile at Indian Beach this elevation change happens again. I know most people think that the stretch along 41 looks flat, but feels hill like while running. I know as the half marathoners head over the Ringling Bridge and toward there turn around point on the other end of the bridge, that the full marathoners are just being teased by the man made mountain until later in the race, mile 12 and 20 to be exact. I know that the loop around Golden gate point, mile 6, will still be under construction. I only wish all the runners would be cussing my company instead of Woodruff and Sons. I know mile 8 thru 11 should be enjoyed, especially on warm days because this area provides the best shade coverage. Mile 13 thru 20 not so much shade, but most would probably find very scenic, that is if there not cramping, barfing, crawling or pooping by this point. Mile 21 thru 26 are up 41 and back thru the neighborhood and to the finish line on the museum grounds under the beautiful banyon trees.

A few other things I know. My wife is throwing a before and after party on marathon day. We have parking for probably 10 to 12 cars if you would like to avoid the marathon parking madness. My family will try to keep there streak of not seeing me at the finish line going strong in 2009. I will finish!!! Peace Out!!!

Running Since Last Thursday: Thursday 1-1-09 7 miles
Friday 1-2-09 4.66 miles
Saturday 1-3-09 18 miles
Monday 1-5-09 3 miles
Tuesday 1-6-09 7.56 miles
Total: 40.22 miles

No comments: