Monday, January 19, 2009

Bagel Bewilderment!!!

If you keep up with this blog, you probably were aware that my loving, caring and selfless wife was going to accompany me on my long run this weekend on her bike to carry my hydration. You see, I planned on using my first ever 20 mile run as a practice for the actual race in three weeks. Since the race will have water and Gatorade approximately every two miles I figured my wife could just hand me the beverage of choice along the run at about the same distances. To further ease the burden of handing me the liquids every 17 to 18 minutes, I also tried to tell my super duper helper where these 2 mile spots along the run would be by giving her landmarks. All seemed to be going to plan, however about an hour and fifteen minutes into the run "The cream cheese hit the fan"!!!

You see my water girl was starting to get a rumble in her tummy. We were about 8.5 miles into the run and close to Morton's Market, which so I've heard have the most Delicious bagels. I told my wife that she should stop and eat. I mean don't mind me I only have 11.5 miles left to run and besides these GU packets are very filling. Besides I won't need another drink until mile 10. I figured that would give my wife 15 minutes or so to eat a bagel and feel like she was getting something out of the trip.

I made it to mile 10 and there was no sign of my wife, but I was still feeling strong so I didn't panic about missing my scheduled Gatorade. Mile 11 came, still no wife, I am now heading over the ever tall Ringling Bridge, admittedly a little nervous but forging ahead. Mile 12, which is my next scheduled water and GU, insert cricket chirping here, that's right "NO WIFE"!!! I Mean How Big Is This Friggen Bagel??? At mile 13 I decided to turn around, maybe my wife had problems with the bike, or is in some kind of trouble. I mean she knows the marathon course like the back of hand right??? NOT!!! Where would I get that idea? Just because I have had the actual course of the marathon taped to my bathroom mirror for the past six months doesn't mean that any body has looked at it. I mean besides myself.

Mile 14, I stop running in fear that without hydration I will begin to cramp, even though to this point I was feeling really strong and actually getting faster each mile. I walked back over the bridge and there she is, my princess sitting on the sidewalk, I'm assuming trying to digest the two pound bagel she must of ate. In all fairness she was upset that she lost me, and really who hasn't lost someone on foot while riding a bike that goes probably 3 or 4 times faster speed wise? I quickly gulped down some water and Gatorade and we finished the last 6 miles. Somehow my wife was able to keep me in sight for the last few miles and I've never been more proud. Peace Out!!!

No comments: