Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My first 20 mile training run, Yippeee!!!

I know this sounds dumb, but I actually look forward to my weekend long runs. Besides my children and "yes" even my wife, it's the next best thing going for me at this point in my life. Pretty sad huh! besides I only have until June to get down to a size two dress for my high school reunion. My girlfriends will be so jealous. Anywho, tomorrow I have a tempo run at 8 minute/mile pace for nine miles. Followed by a recovery run on Friday for 40 minutes. Then on Sunday I will tackle the 20 miler. I would like to run this one a little faster than my usual long run pace to prepare me for the marathon in a few weeks. I also would like to run the distance on the actual course for the marathon to make sure I haven't forgot it over the last year and a half.

I had the family bike's brought from our office to home so I could try to coax, (read: bribe) my wife into riding beside me during my run so she could carry all my gear like a pack mule. That way I could run without the burden of carrying my water, Gatorade, GU packets and cell phone. This will save me from lugging the additional 6 pounds that I have grown accustomed to having for each long run. Besides, I'm sure my wife will offer as much support as the crowds do on race day, as she rides besides me waiting for my orders. I probably have a better chance of having her accept me as one of her friends on Fake Book. The only other obstacle I have for my long run plan, is what to do with the children's??? Hopefully I can talk my parents into coming over. Maybe if I buy some lotto tickets and leave them spread out all over the house along with the newspaper the parental units may zip right over. I know that last line about the lotto tickets and newspaper doesn't make any sense, but I find it funny. You see my dad has a slight gambling problem and my mom is a wee bit negative, I'll let you put the pieces together.

Did I mention I love my kids and ummmm, oh yeah I almost forgot, Running!!! PEACE OUT!!!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

I'll be your pack mule all right. You are going to owe me... BIG TIME!