Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Running--- Much like life--- Means never quitting on yourself!!!

Today was one of those days. You know when you get up and don't particularly care to do the things you know you have to do. Mine happened to be running a measly 4 miles. But, in the end I put on my running attire and headed out into the cold morning air. Just like every other time that I have had these occasional feelings of not getting out there and running, in the end I'm always glad I did.

This morning my mind wandered back to a conversation that my wife, uncle and I had a few weeks back. We were talking about my grandfather and how he was a great business man. The uncle we were speaking with is one of the two sons that now run the family business that my grandfather started. I started to tell my uncle how I went to visit my grandfather with my business plan 9 years ago. My uncle kind of interrupted me, not in a bad way, and said he remembered me doing that. After that I let the conversation change to another topic. I felt there was no reason to let my uncle know what I was actually going to say.

The real intention I had for visiting my grandfather that day was not only to look at my business plan, but to help me financially get my business up and running. Well, what actually happened that day was my grandfather looked at my business plan and..... wait for it ...... LAUGHED!!!

Thinking back at that moment while running this morning, it was probably the best gift that my grandfather ever gave me. I wasn't going to be handed anything from anyone and was going to have to make it happen myself. By laughing at my plan I never shared with him that my intentions were serious, and decided that my limited resources were all I could count on. Without a second thought my wife and I cashed in our mutual funds, a huge $4000 and started the business. During the past 9 years there have been bumps in the road, but (and I guess my point) I have always managed to get out of bed and go to work.

So, whether it's running, business or any other thing that you may want in your life, having the courage to get out the door is the first step. The second is to keep on going out that door no matter what your pea brain tells you. There is no one out there that is going to help you, plus they are all going to "Laugh At You". At least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you have no one to thank for all of the success, but yourself. Peace Out!!!

Tue: 4 miles

1 comment:

Alisa said...

You rock. Congrats on almost 9 years of success -- ON YOUR TERMS!