Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Open Letter To: Dead Opossum in Middle of Road!!!

Dear Deceased Possum In Middle of Road,

I know due to your untimely death and being a opossum that you are probably not going to ever get a chance to read this. But Seriously, after being ran over by that car you couldn't muster enough energy to at least crawl, limp, or roll over to the side of the road? How pitiful!!! Did you do one of those, get half way across the road and see a car coming and decide you should probably go back the way you came from moves, that you and relatives have made ever so popular? How did that work for you? Word of advice if you believe in reincarnation and happen to get lucky enough to come back as a opossum again. If ever put in that same situation and half way across the street with a car barreling down on you, just keep walking in the direction that your already heading. Guess what!!! The distance you're traveling in is just as close as turning back, and you already happen to be heading that way. Even I know that and I'm probably only a few I.Q. points smarter than you were before the grim reaper came to get you this morning.

During our first meeting while in the first half of my tempo run when I mistakenly thought you were some type of clothing that someone threw out their car window. I was at full speed and in the same path as your rotting carcass. I'm glad that I wisely changed my stride at the last minute to avoid a direct hit. That could have made an already messy scene even messier. It wasn't until the second passing, (still your first) that I realized that the clothing was actually your smeared remains. Which brings me back to my earlier question dear opossum. They say that while staring death in the face creatures have been known to cling on to life until they can see the people they love one last time. Did I just happen to come along right after your mate and ten kids said their final goodbye? Or, were you alone in the world and never lucky enough to feel the love of another? If the second statement is true let me be the first to say that I shared a brief moment of sadness this morning in remembrance of you. That should make you feel better on the trip to where ever you dead varmints go when leaving this earth. Keep in mind the source though. I mean I am dedicating a whole entry in my blog to your parting. So, how crazy do I look??? Anywho...

In closing, I feel your eternal rest has somehow brought us closer together. Even though I actually never got a chance to know the real you. I've seen your insides, (literally) and bet if given the chance of being obliterated by that same car again, you would upon seeing me running towards you with great speed use what ever power you have left to crawl over to the side of the road. You would then look at me with your last breathe and I would glance back and let you know that it is O.K. to let go. Rest easy my marsupial friend. You will be missed. To bad the car didn't.

P.S.--- Could you let the suicide squirrel that ended up under our tires on Lido this afternoon know that he will be missed also. My Bad Man!!! Peace Out!!!

Tuesday: 5.6 miles 10 minute warm up 2 miles out 1st mile 7:32 pace 2nd mile 7:35 pace
Total time: 47 minutes 2 miles back 1st mile 7:34 pace 2nd mile 7:57 pace

No comments: