Monday, November 17, 2008

The "3's" aligned, no #2, and a new PR!!! 13.1 Marathon Fort Lauderdale Race Report:

Well folks Sunday was a good day for a race. The numbers seem to magically align upon entering the fine city of Ft. Lauderdale. You see our hotel room number was 705 and my bib number was 60. How could things get any better??? I know I have OCD issues, but I think the race officials did this just for me. They decided to start the race at 6:13 AM!!! But Jason how does that fit in you're silly number "3" scheme??? You Doubters!!! It's simple if you add the start time of 6:13 to the distance 13.1 you will easily be able to see how the race organizers were trying to accommodate me. Jesssh!!!! Obviously I had "3" things going for me long before the start of the race.

I awoke for the race at 4:00 AM, which in retrospect was a little early since our hotel was literally at the start line. I followed my usual rituals of praying to the Porcelain God for forgiveness of my many sins, and hoped he would be a patient god letting me make it to the finish line without rearing his ugly turtle head. I then took a warm shower, got dressed, snacked on some peanut butter crackers, drank some water, and headed down stairs. It was 4:30, what was I to do for the next hour and forty five minutes? What any sane runner would do. I hopped on the hotels treadmill for ten minutes to see if I could possibly anger the Porcelain God. I was successful at pissing the god's off, and was able to let go of what little doubt was left in my system. I was now race ready!!!

The race started on 17th street and headed west towards Federal Hwy., turned north through the tunnel,(can't remember name) turns right on Broward which turns to Las Olas which takes you to A1A along the beach for the last 8 miles. I planned on starting at a 8:30 pace and seeing how that would feel. The pace was very comfortable for me and I felt like I probably could have pushed a little faster. I think the cool temperature helped with my pace. The only hard part of the whole run was the wind. Most of the race, approximate 7 miles, was in a head wind and being shaped like a sail on sail boat doesn't make this the best of situations. At mile 8.5 you turn around on A1A and head south towards the finish at South Beach Park. At this point the wind was finally at my back and feeling I had a sub 2 hour half marathon in the bag I decided to pick up the pace and shoot for my goal 1 hour and 51 minutes. I actually ran my fastest mile of the race in my last mile, (7:46 Damn Girrrl!!!) which probably explains how my family once again missed my spectacular leg kick to the finish line (1 hour 51 minutes). Don't worry guys there's always next year. All in all I have to say this was an awesome race. Well organized, not to big, plenty of water stops, scenic course. I'd give it two thumbs up, and will probably do it again next year.

Let's look at my Predictions/ Goals from my last post:

1.) run under 2 hours, check!!!

2.) no need, see #1!!!

3.) 1 hour 51 minutes, hell to the yeah!!!

4.) have fun, fun was had!!!

5.) Don't shit pants, The record and my pants are still clean!!!

6.) Trophy wife, My only failed mission, however with this economy I seriously couldn't afford one anyway!!!

7.) Peace Out!!!

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Congrats! Hey, you need to move your past two races up to the "Completed Races" part of your blog. Then, you need to pick a few more to do. Maybe there is one during the weekend before spring break next year that you can sign up for, that would be Apr. 5th. Check it out and we can plan our next escape!!! ASB