Wednesday, April 22, 2009

6 Friggen 21!!!

I was order by my trainer to run 1 mile at 100% during my training run this weekend. I took that to mean that the night before said training, I should stay out until 2 in the morning playing cards and drinking (1 and half bottles of Vodka and countless shots of Yagermeister to be exact). Then attempt the run. Well, needless to say Saturday morning came all to fast and I awoke in Headache Hangover Hell Land surrounded by two wide awake children. For the next few hours I attempted to hydrate and escape from Hangover land, unfortunately to no avail.

About noon I finally decided that my current state was not going to improve, so I laced on the Pearl's and headed out the door. Upon my first steps outside I noticed that summer had decided to come early. I am sure this was punishment from the running gods for last nights behavior. Obviously the running gods don't know me very well. It will take a lot more then sizzling heat and a migraine to stop me from a training run. Maybe the gods don't realize that I'm a married man with children for crying out loud!!!

I warned up for 10 minutes. Every single foot strike with the pavement could be felt all the way to the spot where the little jack hammers were running inside my head. Finally, it was time for the 100% mile. I took of in a flash and could instantly feel my breathing and heart rate quicken, along with those annoying little jack hammers. I started to feel the need to slow the pace about three quarters into the run, but ignored the urge. I was starting to feel the effects of my poor hydration and could feel the taste of my blood as I gasped for air during the last quarter of a mile. The last eighth of a mile seemed like it would never end, but thankfully the familiar sound of my Garmim watch sounded the end of my misery.

Results, 6:21!!! Could it have been better? Time will tell!!! Peace Out!!!

No comments: