Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Did I ever tell you about the time I woke up in the morning to get the newspaper and a Black Cat crossed my path?

I don't make this shit up!!! Yesterday I woke up as usual, making sure my feet hit the floor at exactly 5:31 in the A.M., and headed out to retrieve the newspaper. As I headed down the driveway the cat in question made eye contact, and like all cats gave me that "GO Fuck Yourself Buddy" look. Cats seem to do this particular look almost as well as the human females in my life. I continued on my path towards the newspaper hoping the cat would get up from its sleeping position and run off the driveway without crossing in front of me. Ahhh Sorry, No Such Luck!!! That little bastard slowly rose up and purposefully walked directly across my path. I picked up the newspaper, swore at the cat and started to head back towards the house. Something made me turn back one last time to look at the evil cat. The cat gave me a look that I won't soon forget. If I was a superstitious type, I would have to believe that all my training for my upcoming race was for not and I am doomed to fail.

Good thing I'm not superstitious!!!

I went back inside and got dressed for my 5 mile morning run. During the run I was extra cautious of the roads and sidewalks along my route. Damn Cat!!! It's funny how the week before each race, I become more careful than I've been compared to the previous weeks of training. It's also interesting how I can now feel every little sore muscle and ache. It's all in the brain. The body is finally starting to convince the brain that it needs a rest and is not ready for the task at hand. Good try body, (you too, fucking black cat), this mind is mentally prepared for this test, you're just along for the ride. Peace Out!!!

Tuesday: 5 miles 46 minutes

6 miles to go until race day!!!

1 comment:

neale said...

i have a joke about cats. i say: what's the best kind of cat? you say: i don't know, what? i say: one in a burlap sack with nineteen other cats five feet below water! and then we both laugh hysterically for about seven minutes.

on a different note, i'm not sure if there are prizes involved in marathons... but if so, i have a few ways to guarantee you'll be the victor. i come from the same school as tonya harding (holy shit, is that a u.s. figure skating championship reference circa 1994?! believe it, motherfucker, this is how i roll.)